Types Of Consents Needed For Development Approval In Australia

If you are undertaking a development in Australia, development approval is a must to commence the development project. This approval specifies the development guidelines, plans the specific project should follow. It shows how long the development activity should take place and when it has to be finished. The three types of consents that are needed for development approvals are development plan consent (planning consent), building rules consent and land division consent. Three types of consent is needed because different professionals assess different types of developments. These three consent types are further elaborated below:

Development Plan Consent (planning consent)

The development activities that affect the neighborhood require a development planning consent. Constructing a new house, change of a use of a premises ( eg: from residential to a commercial activity) or change of a use of a land (agriculture to residential) needs to acquire a development plan consent. A planner should approve this. The planner should assess this based on the rules, regulations and development guidelines of the area.

Building Rules Consent

Building rules consent should be taken if you are developing a new construction in the premises. This can be a granny flat, garage or a new floor. Normally, a surveyor assesses these plans and issues the consent. Surveyor assesses these plans based on the building and housing codes in Australia. Generally, he/ she assesses structural adequacy, fire safety, health and amenity, equitable access for people with disabilities and energy efficiency. As an example, if you are developing a granny flat in your premises the surveyor assesses granny flat designs, connection and supply of new meters (excludes any upgrades to existing board or cables), sewer connection to granny flat, water connection to granny flat, supply of extra conduit for phone lines/ cables etc. and installation of external water tap and installation of sub water meter.

Land Division Consent

Both central government and local government assess Land division consent. This consent is needed when the development consists of movement of the boundaries of the properties. This includes amalgamation and sub division lf lands. A planner approves this application. To approve this planner refer the applications of other professionals such as engineers and architects.

Most plans need both development plan consent and building rules consent. As an example, if you are assess a granny flat designs at Sydney in your property, a development plan consent has to be obtained as you are developing your property. Also, you need a building rules consent, as you are developing a building in your property.

Comments are Disabled